21 years have passed since hospitals in Vietnam started transplanting blood stem cells to treat blood cancer patients. However, leukemia (blood cancer) patient in Vietnam still have very low survival rate because there is no source of stem cells for transplantation. Approximately 25% of blood cancer patients have a sibling with matching HLA, leaving 75% of the patients in need of blood stem cell transplant from unrelated donors.

The HLA match max probability is around 1/10,000 for unrelated donors, which means if we can recruit 10 thousand people to become blood stem cell donors, we will have a chance to save one life.

There are more than 50 donor registries with 1.8 million donors in the world, with almost no Vietnamese being a part of it. With a young, high education population and an increasingly awareness of community and social responsibility, now is the opportunity for us to step up and cure leukemia in Vietnam.

VIETNAM GENIUS LAB 2016

Localizing lab testing brings better care at lower cost in Vietnam

Building a Blood Stem Cell Donor Program in Vietnam

Building a network of small nonprofit labs in Vietnam

to allow for local testing streamlines processing, saves

resources, improves care, and saves lives.   The first program is a blood stem cell donor program 

to treat leukemia.

 

The project is the brain child of My Nguyen

public health biochemist. The project spatializes testing in local labs that function as neighborhood centers educating and providing jobs for local talent.
 

Đã 21 năm kể từ khi VN có thể ghép tế bào gốc máu để chữa ung thư máu, so với thế giới, bệnh nhân ung thư máu ở VN vẫn có tỉ lệ sống sót thấp vì không có nguồn tế bào gốc để ghép. Chỉ có khoảng 25% bệnh nhân có anh chị em có HLA hợp với mình, 75% bệnh nhân còn lại cần được ghép tế bào gốc máu từ người không cùng họ hàng.

Nếu không cùng họ hàng, tỉ lệ HLA hợp nhau là hơn 1/10000. Như vậy cứ vận động được khoảng 10 nghìn người tình nguyện hiến tế bào gốc máu, chúng ta sẽ có hy vọng cứu được một mạng người.

Hiện nay đã có hơn 50 ngân hàng người hiến trên khắp thế giới với 1.8 triệu người là thành viên, trong đó hầu như không có người Việt nam. Với dân số trẻ, dân trí cao và hoạt động tình nguyện ngày càng được quan tâm hiện nay, đây là cơ hội để chúng ta có thể góp sức tiêu diệt ung thư máu ở Việt nam.

Dự án xây dựng chương trình hiến tế bào gốc tình nguyện ở Việt nam